Think about it – there is an art to everything and living well is no exception. Of any art, this would be the one to master since it encompasses all the others.
The art of living well is to make your life an expression of who you are, what you believe, and your hopes, dreams, and desires. Of course, to create your life as a work of art is an ongoing, evolving, and creative endeavor. And so it should be.
If too many desires come to your mind, or too much restlessness and agitation then food, atmosphere, and association have been the cause.
The difference between living well and just living would be analogous to preparing a meal.
When you’re hungry you can just throw something together from whatever is handy without considering the nutritional value, taste, or visual appeal of the dish. You can shove something down that fills your tummy and satisfies your immediate appetite.
Or, you can prepare a pleasing, nutritious, tasty meal that not only satisfies your visual and practical needs but also makes it a joy to experience. Of course, the second meal requires more thought, planning, imagination, and work, in general, but the rewards are exceedingly greater on every level.
So it is with life. You could live it indiscriminately not paying attention to anything in particular, or you can make it a delicious, nutritious treat.
How to make your life a work of art:
Make each moment count and live it to the fullest. When you get up in the morning decide to welcome all the challenges and delights each day brings. Be aware that everything you experience contributes to your knowledge, enjoyment, and understanding of life. Every activity can have meaning and purpose and by acknowledging and recognizing it, you enrich your participation in it.
If even the slightest desire to be free has arisen in you, you should pat yourself on the back, you are very lucky. Billions of lives on this planet don’t have this blessing. They do not even live. They exist, die and dissolve. They are not bored. Even if they are bored, they’re bored about something very small. A little change can make them very comfortable again. So, blessed are those who get bored!
Express yourself and create the life you want. You are unique. Express your individuality and share your observations and insights with others. Make your surroundings a comfortable reflection of that individuality and uniqueness. For instance, if you’re a collector, a sports fan, or have a particular hobby, decorate your home with artifacts and mementos that express that part of your personality. It makes for good conversation and reveals something about you to others.
Your needs are fully taken care of. You are being loved very dearly. This reminder softens you; brings about miracles around you, and changes your life. This reminder brings plentitude: there is nothing lacking for you. And that is the complete ‘letting go’.
- Establish an open, accepting and appreciative mindset. Prepare yourself for whatever comes your way. When you do, the possibility of attracting adverse circumstances lessens because of your willingness to confront and face what is. When you maintain an open, accepting attitude life actually goes more smoothly and without incident. It’s as if you’re daring life to throw you a curve, but because you aren’t afraid, it becomes unnecessary and therefore loses its impact.
When you can see the entire event as fleeting impositions or happenings, and you remain untouched by them, then you are happy. Joy springs out of you, like a fountain. That is your very nature. Clinging on to the past, to your likes and dislikes, you have bolted the fountain of joy.
- Be who you are and go after what you want. Be comfortable with yourself and don’t be afraid to go after what you want. So many opportunities are missed out on fear of failure (and success too) and an unwillingness to take risks or put yourself on the line. Life is too short to not give your best shot at something. Strive to reach your potential. The worst that can happen is you learn a valuable lesson.
”When you can feel ‘I am not the doer,’ when this confidence, this faith dawns on you, that is nectar. With that, you will become happy”
- Have a solid personal foundation balanced with relationships with family, friends and the community. We are social beings who need each other for comfort, support, and interaction. It’s important to cultivate and value all of our relationships and engage in activities that promote good will and make the community, the country and ultimately the world a better place.You know you are living well when you:
- Wake up in the morning and can’t wait for the adventure that lies ahead of you.
- Are optimistic, cheerful and confident.
- Are interested in and want to contribute to others and the world around you.
- Focus on the good things in your life and improve on what’s not working.
- Are aware, appreciative and engaged in life.
- Turn obstacles into opportunities.
- Seize each moment.
- “The masters in the art of living make little distinction between their work and their play, their labor and their leisure, their minds and their bodies, their information, their recreation, their love and their religion. They hardly know which is which, they simply pursue their vision of excellence at whatever they do, leaving others to decide whether they are working or playing.”